Welcome
News:
Ditch cable and join the thousands who  roll their own TV.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PROBLEMS RELATED TO ROKU DEVICES  (Read 6783 times)
lazya1

Times Thanked: 18

« on: February 26, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »

There are many of us that were here when Roku was the device to use with playon a couple of years ago... then Roku jumped ship and playon for Hulu and Netflix.  There is a great deal of information online about malicious code having been written into the Roku devices to prevent users from using their DLNA device to get Playon.  I have at least one friend from work that purchased the Roku device a few months ago and another that had a samsung streaming device....efforts were to no avail, couldn't get it to stream w/o constant buffering issues.  He tried out one of our WD TV Live boxes and his problems were solved. 

Cabin Fever, another new member, tried every imaginable fix for an entire week to get his Roku box to work w/o buffering issues...he has awesome speeds on his computer, premium acct.   plenty of memory, RAM, a great N Router... rapidshare pro...nothing worked.  He tried out the WDTV Live and he is a happy playon user.

So, if you encounter problems with Roku or a DLNA device that isn't preferred by Playon, beware.

A. Austin
sammy410

Times Thanked: 1

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »

I have two roku boxes.  There is no real problem. I also have other connections including XBMC.  I find that buffering issues can be caused by  a lot of factors including throttling by the ISP.  There are more difficulties now that traffic has moved to new services that have to pick up the volume left by Megaupload.  Mega had a third of the all the traffic.  That is a big hole to fill.
socantra

Times Thanked: 2

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:10 AM »

There are many of us that were here when Roku was the device to use with playon a couple of years ago... then Roku jumped ship and playon for Hulu and Netflix.  There is a great deal of information online about malicious code having been written into the Roku devices to prevent users from using their DLNA device to get Playon.  I have at least one friend from work that purchased the Roku device a few months ago and another that had a samsung streaming device....efforts were to no avail, couldn't get it to stream w/o constant buffering issues.  He tried out one of our WD TV Live boxes and his problems were solved. 

Cabin Fever, another new member, tried every imaginable fix for an entire week to get his Roku box to work w/o buffering issues...he has awesome speeds on his computer, premium acct.   plenty of memory, RAM, a great N Router... rapidshare pro...nothing worked.  He tried out the WDTV Live and he is a happy playon user.

So, if you encounter problems with Roku or a DLNA device that isn't preferred by Playon, beware.

I am also a Roku owner (Roku1 XDS) and am having few, if any, problems with Playon, despite a slow DSL connection and  a computer that is fairly underpowered by current standards.  I'm pretty new here, have no knowledge of the previous issues or bad feelings arising from them, and do not wish to make any enemies.

I do have to react a bit though to the uninformed spreading of rumors of malicious code, which turned out to be an apparently accidental firmware bug which has since been corrected.

I also would like to point out that Cabin Fever, far from being a happy camper since moving to the WDTV Live, has a current thread going about the "Spinning Arrow of Death".  Perhaps not all of the problems were related solely to the Roku boxes.

In addition,Playon apparently does not share the OP's grudge against Roku products, as they are currently doing a promotion of a free Roku with their lifetime subscription.
lazya1

Times Thanked: 18

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »

Thank you for the information and keeping us updated as to fixes to issues.  Always open to current news.  I myself do not use the Roku box and cannot speak to personal issues with it or not, only those voiced by others in the past.  Wonderful that the bug has been fixed.

Unfortunately, whatever is posted on the internet is there to stay and those which have pointed out malicious code are not aware of the fix to the bug...great to hear that this issue has been resolved for most users. Wink Wink

A. Austin
Cabin Fever

Times Thanked: 0

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »

I also would like to point out that Cabin Fever, far from being a happy camper since moving to the WDTV Live, has a current thread going about the "Spinning Arrow of Death".  Perhaps not all of the problems were related solely to the Roku boxes.

Although, the WD TV Live isn't working "perfectly" for me, it has allowed me to cut the cable, which I never would have been able to do with the problems that I was having with the Roku! I compared apples to apples, testing the Roku, unplugging it, and plugging in the WD TV Live. Plus, this spinning arrow of death, sounds like a firmware issue that will hopefully be addressed. Regardless, as long as I am selective with what hosts I choose, I don't have any problems.
flhthemi
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »

Keep in mind that all you have to do with the WD Live Hub, at this time, is install firmware version 2.07.17 and you pretty much eliminate the SAOD.
Cabin Fever

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 06:31:26 AM »

Firmware version 2.07.17 is for the WD TV Live HUB, which I do not have, so I can not use.
trailmix
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »

I have 3 roku, 2 ipad, 1 iphone, 1 android, 1 laptop and 2 desktop pc's in my house.  All of them run playon with no issues.  If there are any issues, it is with the plugin, not the platform running playon.
sptuck
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 62

"Bot Smasher"

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:58:57 PM »

Some antivirus software and more than one firewall on your playon pc can also affect performance. Make sure you are using either Windows Firewall or a third party one. Not both.

[Link Removed] You are not allowed to view links. Please login or register
Register or Login
WIRED: Netgear WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router with DLNA Server.
           Sony BDPS570 Blu-Ray Player, XBOX 360, Boxee Box.
WIRELESS: Wii, Android
--Time Warner HD DVR cablebox w/250+ channels.
--RoadRunner Extreme(30 down, 5 up
mastermesh

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 03:17:26 AM »

Plex is doing for Roku what Playon should have many years ago... and it's actually doing it better than Playon ever did...
n2play

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »

Plex is doing for Roku what Playon should have many years ago... and it's actually doing it better than Playon ever did...
Am I missing something?  Plex is better at streaming my local media, but I don't see the online stuff I enjoy with Playon and especially it's quick do it yourself plugin "Now Video"  Huh
dwanthny

Times Thanked: 5

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 05:13:06 AM »

I use Playon with 2 Rokus.  The only time I ever ran into a buffer issue with Playon that wasn't related to the source feed was when I was streaming local MKV files with an underpowered server.  To trans-code with either Plex or Playon you need a decent cpu to ensure no buffering.  I was using a core 2 duo 2ghz intel.  That cpu worked great for everything up until I hit a higher bitrate MKV.  Since I upgraded to a i7 2600 3.4ghz machine I haven't had a hiccup with Playon.  Plex, however is still working through some growing pains and isn't yet as mature a product as Playon.

I have Plex and Playon up and running with 2 Rokus and Playon does a better job and is more stable.

Plex is better at streaming my local media

I find using Playon combined with VLC is as good at streaming any format to my Roku as Plex is.  Additionally Plex is still a little buggy in the metadata department, meaning even though Playon doesn't look as pretty, using my existing folder structure is easier with Playon.

Am I missing something?  ...  I don't see the online stuff I enjoy with Playon and especially it's quick do it yourself plugin "Now Video"  Huh

You're missing something, You may have to click on the bottom > sign to get to the channel directory.  You may also have to publish your channel via the Plex Media Manager.  I'm not sure but ask on the Plex forum for more info.  There is definitely a bunch of channels you're not seeing.

Register or Login
20GB of free CLOUD STORAGE:
For a limited time you can use
Register or Login
this link
to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com cloud storage account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
frankcojimar

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »

I live in Canada and last week I bought a Roku online but i did not anything about this , just a frien recommneded this to me, as a result I can not wacht Youtube, Vevo, pandora, hulu etc, I have to pay to Playon to do this, bvut Youtube is free totaly.

I need some information on how to wacht some stuff like these but for free.

anay information
thanks in advance.[/b][/b]
frank
chewbacaface

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »

I have Plex and Playon up and running with 2 Rokus and Playon does a better job and is more stable.

I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I have a machine in front of me right now with that has Plex and PlayOn both pointed at the same NAS device and Plex is streaming perfectly while PlayOn is buffering about every 15 seconds even with the quality set to medium. Not sure what the issue is but Plex definitely streams local media a lot better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: