Welcome
News:
Figured some trick out with PlayOn or a Plugin? Write a guide and post it in the
[Link Removed] You are not allowed to view links. Please login or register
Register or Login
Guides
Forum!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Playlater Review and Discussion  (Read 14805 times)
sammy410

Times Thanked: 1

Email
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »

That version has been updated according to Tech support.  They identified a problem with the playon interface.  In order to link the two together they had to update the playon player component.  The problem you identified also affected my media files.  They discovered that the revised playon was not supporting all the codecs.
lazya1

Times Thanked: 18

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »

I also updated playlater yesterday and now view the recording option on TV with a PS3.  However, my recordings did not complete and I received the same message.

A. Austin
sammy410

Email
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »

Even though I upgraded, I am still unable to play the playlater file.  I spoke with them about the DRM issue.  It appears to be more of an issue with the sponsored channels.  They said, it is part of their licensing agreement.
lartomar2002
Super User

Times Thanked: 12

Email
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »

Well, its been a few days of playing around with Playlater, MediaMall's new program. (in beta)

Its a nice thought, but not sure if its where it needs to be yet. (Yes I know its still in beta - and there is a lot of potential for it - lets see where they take it)

As for the program and how it is right now
Its nice... though not as much use as I'd like, the channels seems a bit buggy somehow i got it to load duplicate channels (having 2x hulu channels)

The main problem I see is the following scenario...
1) you need PlayOn in order to run Playlater
2) One of MediaMall's advertisement points is 'Anytime, Anywhere' (laptop in an airplane so to speak...)
3) I have playon installed on my workstation as it is a bit of a system recourse hog, I would not want to install it on my laptop
4) Even if I where to install both programs on my laptop I would have to disable it on my desktop for that period of time (else violate the ToS) - seems like to much of a hassle to really follow suit

I believe the best thing that could happen to this is enable drm playback through PlayOn - which people with lag problems and spikes can record their show overnight and be able to watch it the next day. (or as it was stated elsewhere - most people with PlayOn are a bit 'tech savvy' - drm's now days are just an annoyance, and didn't take to long to find away around it..

As for cost of this, - a quick google search just revealed a few price points but no 1 payment option. My favorite feature of PlayOn is I don't have to pay a bill - ever. It appears there is a monthly subscription right now and a yearly subscription... Not sure how many people are going to want to buy their "dvr's" every year.

End story
I will end up buying this on 1 condition - they come out with a 'lifetime license' like they have with PlayOn
I feel that this will be a great addition to media, but not sure if its for everyone.

Whats do you guys think?

Great Review. So if I am reading this correctly all this does is download video from the Playon Channel, Plugins an Scripts. If this is the case why would I pay such a high premium and when I can use FF Video Download Helper. I paid a one time fee about 3 years ago (allows me to convert videos without the watermark). I can access all of the sites used by all Playon modules plus some others, I have a MegaVideo/MegaUpload premium account so, this just seems like a waste of money to me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:51:07 PM by lartomar2002 » Logged

Cpu: Intel Core i3 2.93Ghz DDR3 SDRAM 6 Gb Ram
Router: Netgear WNR 2000v2
Network: Wired (cat5e)
TV: Vizio SV472XVT
AVR: Bose V35 Lifestyle HTS
Dlna Devices:WDTV Live HD (WDLXTV), Ouya (XBMC) PS 3 160gb, Directv HR24-500
ISP: Road Runner 20Mbps DL 2.0Mbp (Wired)
sammy410

Email
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 05:36:26 AM »

I agree with the review. I use Applian Technologies video capture. It can capture multiple streams simultaneously even from Playon.  In addition it doesn't need playon once it captures the source link.  The real value is in the automatic link to playon and the quality is excellent.  I think they could really enhance this product with cloud technology.  I am not sure I need to capture a lot of stuff. It takes up space. The ability to retrieve the files from a cloud source would be the optimal in my opinion.
lazya1

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »

I agree with using Replay media catcher for now.  Have had consistent results without problems unlike playlater. 

A. Austin
sammy410

Email
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »

There is another way to download video without special software.
Start the video you want to watch in Playon.
Go to the log file for the script
look for the video entry it will be a line in your script log
 You will see an entry that looks something like this example  2011-08-13 19:06:55.18: Resolved 5starflicks.lua-1593 ->
Register or Login
http://t6.novamov.com/dl/15c8d9333e4727a9c075e66c67d77cba/4e47012f/4a8960bf4023f.flv

Copy the video url and paste it into your browser
Press enter and your browser download manager will open.

The resulting download is very fast. faster than recording the video with playlater
You can then use any of the converters available or even VLC to convert the video to your desired codec.
lazya1

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »

where is the log file specifically located to cut and paste for download?

A. Austin
sammy410

Email
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 03:46:04 AM »

The log files are typically located in c:\programdata\mediamall

There will be log files for each script.  When you open the log file look for the time stamp when you opened the film.  You will see a string of data embedded in the data string will be the url.  Copy out the Url and paste it in your browser window.  This will trigger an immediate download.  The file will download in the orginal format and codec.  I tried it a couple of times works very well.
lartomar2002
Super User

Email
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »

Doesn't the NOW! Video Browser do the same thing?  You can also get a Boxee Box (little expenxive) but it opens up a lot more stuff.and it has a faster FF and RW. If you miss a particular episoode of a show therem is a 99% chance you can find it on thr BB, it does not hjave HUlu yet but you can add Bartsidee's repo and it has Hulu as one of it modules.

lazya1

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 10:50:13 PM »

Where do I find the Now video browser?  Please direct?  Thank you...was a tester in beginning but can't find any remnant..lol!  Kids probably elimated.  Thank You!

A. Austin
lartomar2002
Super User

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »

Try here:
Register or Login
http://www.playonplugins.com/index.php?topic=5393.180

alrasmus

Times Thanked: 0

Email
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »

I downloaded the beta. Quality of the download is excellent.  It uses an unusual codec that is playable by of all things Windows Media, but the codec is currently not available in VLC which is the embedded player used by Playon.  I found Applian Technologies Replay video converter can convert plv files. So, it just means an extra step.  convert the file and load it into mymedia.

Hopefully someone still looks at this thread.  I tried using the Replay video converter, but it doesn't seem to work at removing the drm.  I am having issues watching shows I recorded on playLater and now have updated my version of playLater and I keep getting the error that my trial version has expired.  I have purchased the lifetime license of playOn/PlayLater but I am told by support that the error can be from many things, one of which is the fact I updated my version of playLater, and recorded them on a different computer.  Now I am deployed with the military and unable to watch these shows I recorded prior to leaving so I could have some entertainment.  Anyone know how I can remove the drm so I can watch these episodes?  Or any other go-around?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
onyx
Administrator

Times Thanked: 60

FearTheSobe
Email
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »

sorry for the late reply,

Back when i was using playlater, the best tool that I found was 'Full Video Converter 9' (renaming the extension to mov then converting it)
FVC9 is not free, and I would recommend you try their trial first, as I believe mediamall might have fixed this work around as well... but good luck.

alrasmus

Times Thanked: 0

Email
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately Full Video Converter didn't work.  Thanks anyway though!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: