+  PlayOn Plugins - Unofficial Plugins - Development - Help
|-+  General Category» Spam» No more!
Username:
Password:
Welcome
News:
Welcome to PlayOnPlugins.com! If you want fresh stuff for PlayOn, we can help!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: No more!  (Read 8279 times)
seethransom
Super User

Times Thanked: 7

Email
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »

I cut my advanced basic today. I have to keep the OTA service, as I cannot have an external antenna.

I have a free month on Hulu Plus. I like the HD. Though Playon have a fine looking Hulu free, that has much more content.

I have streaming Netflix. Their HD content looks nice to me.

Of course, I have Playon, with all of the fine plugin/scripts found here. I mean that. I think you all have made Playon more than even they thought it could be. I hope one day we can find HD sources. People only have only so much on their up side.

My tipping point is that I want an iPad. I had to sacrifice something. One year of Cable.

I do have a TiVo, that is great for steaming, and getting my network shows. I get my podcasts Via TiVo too. My Xbox360 with Tubecore is the TiVo of my Interwebs.

I feel good that I can do this. Wish me luck though?
Seeth.
adg707
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »

There is a small adjust period that's for sure but after that you really never miss cable, in fact I rarely ever watch any live tv and don't miss it. I would say when you can, get a megavideo acct and the scripts on here that utilize it. They have almost everything and great quality. Other than that don't worry, it's going to be great and I'm sure you will love your ipad. Good luck but you really don't need any Smiley
banbjones
Super User

Times Thanked: 9

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »

Hey adg707 , I wish it was that easy for my family of 5? I alone could deal but the kids would impload! They are using the Playon more and hope I can let go of the DTV someday? The HD in my home is killing the cut to the ties with DTV and have 5 HDTVs! Hopefully we can stream a true HD signal at 1080p someday that will be as clear as what we have but till then? If alone and trying to save a buck I would and  seethransom I am jealous of you being able to do it!  Cry

qwerk

Times Thanked: 0

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »

I have done the same thing.. though comcrap gives me basic for free with the internet i get from them.. have tivo and PS3 as well as 32 other dnla devices.. uebo and wdLiveHD plus i don't miss much at all, but wish my girlfriend would buy into it more.
seethransom
Super User

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »

My Luck is that I live alone. I am the only one that will use it. Spouse approval ratings could cause trouble, I bet. It can be a clunky interface. I use the Xbox, and  Tubecore. When I want to see all episodes after another, I use my SONY BLU-Ray. It plays the next track automatically. I never have to touch the remote. Sometimes this does not work, as some things are numbered the wrong way. I wish I could fix that, but it is all good.
Seeth
microzoa
Developer Tier 1

Times Thanked: 53

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:17:14 AM »

We would nearly be through 12 months of cable free and we don't miss the massive monthly bills - we use:

* PlayOn
* Tversity - some movies playback better
* Netflix - Stream and DVD's

I thought there would be more of a backlash in our house, but we are totally surprised. 3 x kids from 12 to 7. They really took to it and now just pick and choose. We have an ipad, 360, PS3, iPhones, iPods and laptops to watch all this content on, so they don't feel like they are missing out in terms of choice. The hardest things is when their friends come over, but no real drama at this point.

I totally love the flexibility of PlayOn and the scripting community although at times now i feel like the list of channels on my server is getting a little like the old cable days, so many great choices, so little time to watch!

-microzoa
Wario954

Times Thanked: 1

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:54:45 AM »

I would def consider looking into a megavideo premium account. I tried it for a month and it is night a day in terms of reliability. I think it's a must have especially if you already cut cable. Movies and tv shows that gave me issues before stream without buffer and in most cases perfect quality. Ice films, movie2k, and tvlinks all use it. That with the combination of firstrow, matrixsports, and scriptv you have in my opinion everything you would need. Now only if I could get my wife on board......

By the way the iPad 2 is well worth cutting the cable for. I got one as an early fathers day gift and I haven't put it down since.

DLNA Devices:Boxee Box, 2 AppleTV2s w/ XBMC and firecore, WDTV Live Plus, XBOX360, PS3, Direct TV hr-22 and 2 hr-24s
Connection:Wired/Wireless
ISP:Comcast
adg707
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »

I guess I'm very lucky, my fiance loves playon. I have even got my mom and sister to start using playon. It took them a little while to get used to but now they love it too. In fact my mom just cut the cable from the house and upgraded her dsl because she found herself not watching the live cable tv anymore. 
synflux
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 86

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »

PlayOn, HTPC/Boxee, Navi-X, Logitech Dinovo Mini = happy wifey, happy kids.  3 years after cutting the cable, never a complaint in this house Wink

Nullum Beneficium Est Impunitum
seethransom
Super User

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »

Everyone,
  Thank you so much for your encouragement. So far, I am overwhelmed. I often used playon, but I did not explore. Right now, I am on Snagfilms. What a picture! Everything else looks on par with VCR-DVD.
  I did get a month of Megavid. I don't know if I will get another month, as I am trying to keep cost down. I like what I see though. With TubeCore, I can bookmark my favorite channels, so I don't have to hunt again. It is supposed to do downloads in the background, but I have not tried that yet.
 I think I will do fine, perhaps better. To have Broadband, I have to carry the OTA networks. In the fall, I tent to watch network. It is all good.
 Hulu plus is interesting. Better content, good HD, and after my free month on Xbox, I have one for SONY, and TiVo.
 Netflix is a must for me. I can't/won't cut that cost.
 I love what playon has to offer (hulu), however it is the 3rd party developments that really makes it special. If I could make one suggestion it would be the Funamation Anime network.
 Thank you again all. I will be ordering my iPad (I want to sell my iTouch4, as it seems greedy to have both). Even when I am away from my 50 inch, I can watch all my content on the iPad. How cool is that?

PS: A family member also gave me access to HBO to GO, and Uverse (hulu not dependent on computer to stream). HBO does not TV out, unless you jailbreak.

spinn360

Times Thanked: 0

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 08:08:05 AM »

How many people have a successful usage of the 3rd party scripts such as TVlinks, Movies2k, Movshare?  I have been using Playon for some time.  And I have always had issues with the ones that I actually want to watch (3rd party).  I signed up when it was still for life, and then paid when they changed their minds to yearly premium.  These 3rd party scripts/plugins always seem to play then freeze, or not play at all  or buffer constantly.  I get tired of trying 27 different links for a show or movie I want to see (and it is this way I would say 90% of the time) .  Tired of watching movies almost to the end.  I use a 360, Wii, roku, android phone, ipod, but it doesn't seem to matter.  I have tried both Cable internet (gold package) and DSL internet, and it still is the same.  I thought Playlater would be the answer to the problems, I figured it would be able to download the whole movie and I could watch it later.  I tried it out and was amazed yes it said it was complete.  I started to watch on my 360, got 3/4 of the way through the movie and it ended short.  Damnit!!!  I send it yet another support ticket  (always seems to be for the same reason)  But 3rd party can not be supported (even if it has been around as long as Playon)

Seriously I just decided to use my TV as a second monitor with a DVI-HDMI cable for 5 dollars on amazon.  No more of this click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click click wait, maybe, maybe, no, click, wait, wait, wait, no, click, click, click, click, found one!...it works it works, oh... uh... wait nevermind....

Goodbye PlaySometimes!
adg707
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »

Completely opposite experience here. I cut the cord a year and a half ago and never looked back. I have a mega premium acct and since gettin that I have had very very few of the kinds of problems above mentioned. The mega acct, at least 6meg DSL, and 2gigs of ram makes playon happy. For me I like the UI with playon over just hooking directly to the tv. If you haven't already try xbmc and navix great way to view playon and huge resource for content.
onyx
Administrator

Times Thanked: 60

FearTheSobe
Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 07:15:50 AM »

Id have to agree with adg707 - there, i cut cable tv out a long while ago - and some how i now have more content on my tv then i did when i did have cable... ... ... >.> ... including the actual hbo channel now lol... sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience spinn360

MrBiG

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »

Seriously I just decided to use my TV as a second monitor with a DVI-HDMI cable for 5 dollars on amazon.

Well yeah, that's always been the easiest way to do it, even easier if you have a laptop with an HDMI out.

If you had this ability all along then why didn't you just use it to begin with? If anyone dicked you over it was yourself.
adg707
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 08:15:06 PM »

LOL
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: