Welcome
News:

[Link Removed] You are not allowed to view links. Please login or register
Register or Login
Update your profile
with your date of birth for access to the Adult Content Forum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vizio Apps / Yahoo Widget  (Read 7642 times)
wisealma

Times Thanked: 0

Email
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:13:04 PM »

Does anyone know if Playon is planning on creating a vizio tv app (currently installed through the yahoo widget platform)? There are millions of TVs out there now with WiFi built in. Yahoo also just announced that developers can charge for their apps via the tv.

I'd love to hear that playon planned on this.

Justin
TRIP
Beta Tester
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 60

Its all fun till the cops show up :(

tripm0nkey420@hotmail.com tripmonkey420 tripm0nkey42o
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »

Interesting, i have a feeling there will be such an app.

Dave
DLNA Devices:PS3,XBOX360 SLIM ELITE/WII/Optoma TX1080/144"SCREEN
Connection:Wired/Wireless
ISP:Comcast

(Support Advice) If you would like us to do our best to help you,please include your setup info in your signature thanks
famine
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50

xxxdirtyxxx5996
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »

Creating a widget would likely mean a deal would need to be struck between PlayOn and the TV manufacturer that the widget would be created for. This would most certainly be a costly endeavor and also wouldn't have a high yield given the fact that there isn't sufficient data to track which TV manufacturer is the most popular. PlayOn would need this data and then need to weigh the possibility of whether or not it would be worth it in the end. I would have to say that most likely this will not happen for quite some time or will not happen at all unless a developer API becomes available for said TV manufacturer. Also as a side note it would likely again not be worked on by PlayOn directly. It would likely need to be made by a developer for instance from PlayOnplugins.com and then after sufficient time of being tested it may be officially supported by PlayOn. This is the same route that the Roku box took to be officially supported by PlayOn.

Register or Login
mniswonger

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 09:30:33 AM »

Actually, there is an API provided already, and it wouldn't be limited to just Vizio, since Sony, Toshiba and several other TV manufacturers are using the Yahoo Connected TV platform.

Register or Login
http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/

Register or Login
http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/developer/

Register or Login
http://www.yctvblog.com/

Creating a widget would likely mean a deal would need to be struck between PlayOn and the TV manufacturer that the widget would be created for. This would most certainly be a costly endeavor and also wouldn't have a high yield given the fact that there isn't sufficient data to track which TV manufacturer is the most popular. PlayOn would need this data and then need to weigh the possibility of whether or not it would be worth it in the end. I would have to say that most likely this will not happen for quite some time or will not happen at all unless a developer API becomes available for said TV manufacturer. Also as a side note it would likely again not be worked on by PlayOn directly. It would likely need to be made by a developer for instance from PlayOnplugins.com and then after sufficient time of being tested it may be officially supported by PlayOn. This is the same route that the Roku box took to be officially supported by PlayOn.
RexChapman

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »

Just bumping this up-- mainly because I just purchased a Vizio Via model.  I would love to figure out a way to use playon on this machine without hooking up a device.  Any other thoughts or news about a yahoo widget for playon?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: