Welcome
News:
Ditch cable and join the thousands who  roll their own TV.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stream pc screen and sound to tv?  (Read 3420 times)
kamakazie2

Times Thanked: 0

« on: August 03, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone considered making a plugin that would stream the playon pc's screen to the tv with sound.
Is this possible? With a powerful enough pc it should be able to encode on the fly. I would love to use my pc on the tv without having to run a long cable to the tv.
Thoughts?
lartomar2002
Super User

Times Thanked: 12

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »

i'm not sure why you would want to do that since playon is not a media player but a media server. if i understand you correctly, you want to stream the playon gui to your tv? and as for video or sound i have never had playon stream (or play?) on my computer but then, i'm not a techie either.

Cpu: Intel Core i3 2.93Ghz DDR3 SDRAM 6 Gb Ram
Router: Netgear WNR 2000v2
Network: Wired (cat5e)
TV: Vizio SV472XVT
AVR: Bose V35 Lifestyle HTS
Dlna Devices:WDTV Live HD (WDLXTV), Ouya (XBMC) PS 3 160gb, Directv HR24-500
ISP: Road Runner 20Mbps DL 2.0Mbp (Wired)
avalien
Keeper of Happy Thoughts
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 90

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »

kamakazie2 - VLC supports desktop streaming with NO sound. This would need to built directly into the PlayOn software or 3rd party tool would need to be used to create the desktop to a media file or stream it as MMS stream. In my findings I did see a pay software package that might be able to stream the desktop in MMS format. So, it is possible. But it will cost you monies or you will need to wait until PlayOn includes it.

"The content is out there Fox Mulder"
"Your living room just got larger"
yourcaptain

Times Thanked: 3

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:02:38 AM »

I used to use Replay Video Capture and capture live to file and stream it live with the Local Files Plugin. Local files Plugin has been disabled so it don't work now. I haven't had time to find a new server that it will work with but there probably is one.

Vista 64
PS3 wired
PS3 slim wired
avalien
Keeper of Happy Thoughts
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »

This is the answer for now - try out the latest script and download/install the software information provided. Read the pdf before installing.

[Link Removed] You are not allowed to view links. Please login or register
Register or Login
http://www.playonplugins.com/index.php?topic=2157.60

yourcaptain

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »

It looks like seeit360 has the Local Files Plugin fixed and you can capture to file and stream live again with it.
Register or Login
http://playonlabs.net/localfiles/

I use this to capture
Register or Login
http://applian.com/replay-video-capture/

This is the only setup I have found the works good.

You save your video capture to file the set the local files plugin to look in that file and it will steam it as you capture it audio and video.

Vista 64
PS3 wired
PS3 slim wired
avalien
Keeper of Happy Thoughts
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »

yourcaptain - replay-video-caputure - this records the desktop or just video files from websites?

yourcaptain

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 03:17:21 AM »

Records what ever is on your screen full screen or window and captures audio from sound card. They have one that captures from the stream but it doesn't work with everything.

Vista 64
PS3 wired
PS3 slim wired
yourcaptain

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 03:33:57 AM »

Windows Media Encoder also works for screen capture but it's harder to set up. I see windows has a new media encoder but haven't tried it yet.

Vista 64
PS3 wired
PS3 slim wired
mastermesh

Times Thanked: 0

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »

Ever heard of something called video out?!? Wink

A few years back I did something like this with an ati-all-in wonder's video out and a very long set of sterio extension cords plugged in to sound card's out like the ones you use to plug headphones in... the sound went to the TV area in living room with soundblaster external soundcard thing.  I use that soundblaster thing with my fta satellite receiver to get cheap dolby digital sound, and it's got an input for the audio cords.  It's not a wireless solution but it works.
avalien
Keeper of Happy Thoughts
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »

yourcaptain -

The software solution I suggested does it real time not needing to save as an AVI or media file. Also you dont have to take up as much HD space.  Though I have not tested that software, I'm sure it will have a purpose for some people.

How is the video frame rate? Choppy at all?

When I get some time I'll test it out.

yourcaptain

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »

Localfiles Plugin plays the file as you are capturing it.

The Replay Video Capture and Localfiles Plugin does it in real time but it does save the file. You just delete it when you are done watching. The video looks as good as it does on the PC screen or about the same as anything you get with Playon. If your computer doesn't have the power it may be choppy when capturing full screen. You don't need to capture full screen as it plays full screen on the  TV if you just capture a window.

I use it for Netflix Starz Live Channel and used it to watch the news off veetle today.

Vista 64
PS3 wired
PS3 slim wired
yourcaptain

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »

Also with it saving to file as it plays you can rewind and pause.

Vista 64
PS3 wired
PS3 slim wired
dittoditto1111

Times Thanked: 6

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 07:20:42 PM »

Your captain, I have Replay video capture and this works great Streaming from my PC to PS3 through Playon my media files but here is where my problem is. I start recording a window from veetle and then I go to the other room on my PS3 and open the file and it starts streaming. The problem is the streams stops dead in its tracks at around 30 seconds. I undertstand you are sending a file that is getting bigger as you go but the Playon server only sees as much as is recorded when I start playing the file. How can I get around this problem. The file being recorded by Replay Video Capture is a .mpg file. This is my long awaited solution to streaming Veetle from my PC to my PS3.
dittoditto1111

Times Thanked: 6

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »

Never mind I figured this out. I was trying to go through my media files instead of the local files plugin. This is great now I can stream live streams from Veetle or ATDHE.net live to my PS3.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: