Anybody out there working on putting Playon on the Roku box yet? How close it this to being a reality?
The wait is OVER - a PlayOn channel has been developed for the Roku !!!!
It is still in the developmental stage - so, it can only be added as a private channel (code provided below).
I have installed it on my Roku and even for beta-software it is running very well with the current version of PLayOn on my 64-bit Vista box - no major problems so far anyways.
Here are the release note and channel code (ENJOY!!):
PlayOn recently updated its iOS hls streams to use Roku compatiable audio, that means that PlayOn streams now work on the roku.
Before I give out out the code, a few notes:
1) The channel is very very very very very rough around the edges. It is based on one of my first experiements into brightscript that I cleaned up quickly now that Playon changed their hls streams. Please consider this channel alpha quality.
2) Server discovery is slow, but once it discovers teh server, the IP address is saved and you shouldn't have to wait again.
3) This is based on the latest PlayOn Software (3.0.19 released 9/28/2010). Please ensure that this version is insalled. Note that Playon has changed the interface this channel is using with nearly every release for the last few months. That means that if you upgrade past this version, there is a good chance something will no longer work.
4) This channel is based on PlayOn's HTTP iOS interface. They just recently got approved for an app in the app store, so I have no idea if they will maintain this interface.
1) Server Discovery: As mentioned above, it is slow, but it works. Please note that only 1 Playon server is supported. If you are running multiple on your network, it will only link up to one
2) Hulu: Tested a couple of shows
3) Tv.com: watched the pilot of "$!# my dad says" last night
4) My videos: watched a few short clips of some videos I have on my computer. Both mkv's, one in HD. Both worked.
5) ESPN3: I watched part of a soccer game last night < 3 minutes. Worked fine
What doesn't work:
1) Missing Icons: Between the top level and the bottom episode level, there aren't any icons being displayed. I plan on creating some generic icons
2) CNN: this content seemed to cut off after a few minutes. Not sure what is going on.
3) Occasionally a video would rebuffer within the first 30 or so seconds of starting. After the first rebuffer it seemed to work fine.
That's all I've gotten to test so far. If you have any problems, please post in the thread and I will try to address them. Note that I have a busy work day today and I not likely be able to address any issues till tonight or tomorrow at the earliest.
9/30 2:30pm: THERE IS A BUG IN THE CURRENT VERSION...HOLD ON
9/30 2:40pm: The bug (selecting top level categories bounces you back to the roku home menu) should now be fixed. Please go to the channel store to update the channel.
And now that you've been sufficiently warned/informed:[Link Removed] You are not allowed to view links. Please login or registerRegister